Date:	Thu, 10 Jan 2013 17:54:19 +1100
From:	u3557@...o.sublimeip.com
To:	"Oleg Nesterov" <oleg@...hat.com>
Cc:	"Pedro Alves" <palves@...hat.com>, u3557@...o.sublimeip.com,
	"Denys Vlasenko" <dvlasenk@...hat.com>,
	"Jan Kratochvil" <jan.kratochvil@...hat.com>,
	"Cyrill Gorcunov" <gorcunov@...nvz.org>,
	"Pavel Emelyanov" <xemul@...allels.com>,
	"Steven Rostedt" <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	"Frederic Weisbecker" <fweisbec@...il.com>,
	"Ingo Molnar" <mingo@...hat.com>,
	"Peter Zijlstra" <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: PTRACE_SYSCALL && vsyscall (Was: arch_check_bp_in_kernelspace:
 fix the range check)

Hi Everyone,

> On 01/08, Pedro Alves wrote:
>>
>> On 12/04/2012 05:59 PM, Oleg Nesterov wrote:
>>
>> > But If we want to allow to trace vsyscall's, hw bp doesn't look very
>> > nice imo. HBP_NUM = 4 and you need to setup 3 bp's to trace them all.
>>
>> Irrespective of the whole syscall tracing issue, allowing HW bkpts in
>> the vsyscall just seems like a bug fix to me.
>
> And I never argued. I sent the patch iirc ;)

Exactly, it is a bug and I am still waiting for it to be fixed in the
Linux kernel.

Fully emulating PTRACE_SYSCALL could also provide a suitable way to
fix my problem, and it may also help others by saving them the need
to program and waste x86 debug registers, but it doesn't change the
fact that my problem is caused by a bug in the first place, which
should be fixed in any case.

Best Regards,
Amnon.