Date:	Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:09:52 +0100 (CET)
From:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...i.de>
To:	"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@...e.fr>
cc:	linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: kconfig-frontends-3.6.0-0 released

On Sunday 2013-01-13 19:59, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>> >printf "Running libtoolize...\n"
>> >libtoolize --copy --force
>> >printf "Running aclocal...\n"
>> >aclocal -Wall --force
>>
>> Not again. autoreconf has existed for so long, why are people still
>> hand-coding the boilerplate?
>
>(Note: this is my very first completely autotools-based package.)
>First, I have to admit that I looked at how other packages do it, and
>I mimicked what they do, rather than invent my own.

Ok, sensible. Yes, a lot of other packages make bad examples :(
Let's hope for them to be still alive and updated when automake 1.14
is out - it will remove and flag out some terribly old remnants.

>Second, I know of autoreconf, but it does not work for 'foreign' packages
>(ie. packages that do not have the NEWS and Changelog files, for example):
>
>[--SNIP--]
>Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
>Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found
>[--SNIP--]
>
>I do not have a need for such files in this package. So, it is a 'foreign'
>package, and must be handled as such by automake.
>
>How does one autoreconf a 'foreign' package?

Surely, just that:
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign])

>> > By default, do not build with -Wall, unless the user asks for it
>>
>> There normally is no excuse for not using -Wall by default,
>> save for trying to compile it with msvc.
>
>Sorry, did you mean: "-Wall should be the default" ?

Indeed.

>Yes, I was thinking of building with -Wall by default once the packaging
>would be a bit more stable. Now seems like a good time to add this.

>> >AC_HEADER_STDC
>> >AC_HEADER_STDBOOL
>> >AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ fcntl.h limits.h locale.h ])
>> >AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ stdlib.h string.h sys/time.h unistd.h ])
>> >AC_TYPE_SIZE_T
>> >AC_FUNC_MALLOC
>> >AC_FUNC_REALLOC
>> >AC_FUNC_ALLOCA
>> >AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ bzero memmove memset ])
>> >AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ strcasecmp strchr strcspn strdup strncasecmp strpbrk strrchr
>> >strspn strtol ])
>> >AC_CHECK_FUNCS([ gettimeofday mkdir regcomp setlocale uname ])
>>
>> All of this seems pointless because you never use the results
>> (HAVE_FCNTL_H, HAVE_LIMITS_H, etc.)
>
>Right. This is the output of autoscan.

I find that program quite useless..

>As I see it, the only action we could take is to bail out if any is missing.
>Is this what you meant?

You could do that, though I would simply direct users to read the compiler
error message. That enhances (hopefully) both their knowledge on compiling,
and reduces the walltime configure runs.

If I understood right, kconfig-frontends is supposed to run on non-Linux too,
and I have yet to see a modern platform that's missing any of the stdc
functions like malloc and strchr.