Date:	Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:45:49 -0500 (EST)
From:	Tom St Denis <tstdenis@...iptictech.com>
To:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Cc:	David Dillow <dave@...dillows.org>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: IPsec AH use of ahash

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Steven Rostedt" <rostedt@...dmis.org>

I find that 73% of all stats are made up.

What actually happened was testmgr.h was being #ifdef'ed out so despite the fact I saw "testmgr.o" on the build process it wasn't actually doing anything.  Not blaming anyone here .. just missed a build option.

I wouldn't have submitted it if the code failed to compile.

> > Though I must say this code has "compiled" in 3.6, 3.6.7, 3.7, and
> > 3.8 without error so it's not surprising it wasn't caught.  After
> > having consulted the "documentation" I never really did figure out
> > how to get testmgr to run so I took a bit of leap of faith there
> > that everything was fine.  Not really an excuse but it is at least
> > an observable hole in the build documentation.
>
> Did you try different configs? Before submitting my code, I run under
> 8
> different configs. SMP, non-SMP, PREEMPT, non PREEMPT, etc. also I
> run a
> few random configs before submitting.

None of course apply to this code [or shouldn't at least].

> Until you can play by the rules, don't bother playing. Feel free to
> dump
> code on LKML. Maybe someone that knows how to play the game will take
> it. But leave your gripes to your managers. No one here, but you,
> thinks
> there's a problem with the frame work.

I actually did resubmit this morning with most of the checkpatch issues fixed.

I'll avoid beating the dead horse though I'd like to move forward.

> > At least the testmgr errors are something I can work on whenever
> > without setting up a lab so likely that'll be something I can
> > tackle today actually.
>
> While you're at it. You could spend an extra 5 minutes cleaning up
> the
> coding style ;-)

It actually took me about 45 minutes and about 5 revisions of the patches to clean up all the random coding style gripes from checkpatch.  The only reason I worked on it though is that there were build errors.  That way I can justify it to my boss.

Seriously, no spaces on the trailing edge of multi line comments?  :-/

Anyways, I did re-submit.  I still have no idea how testmgr works but hopefully someone can pick it up from there.

Tom