Date:	Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:49:19 -0600
From:	Chris Friesen <chris.friesen@...band.com>
To:	Tom St Denis <tstdenis@...iptictech.com>
CC:	Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
	David Dillow <dave@...dillows.org>,
	Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: IPsec AH use of ahash

On 01/21/2013 09:31 AM, Tom St Denis wrote:
> [...]

There can be an impedance mismatch between the "get it done to hit a
deadline" business world and the "get it right no matter how long it
takes" world of some open-source projects.

However, many businesses have recognized that they get far more benefit
from dealing with open-source than it costs them in designer time.

 From the point of view of my employer (I work in telecom) the choices
are either:

a) work with the kernel to get the code submitted into mainline
b) keep the changes private and port them every time we upgrade

Over a decade or more my management has come to realize that option "a"
is generally better in the long term, even if it's a bit more effort in
the short term.

There are exceptions of course, and sometimes we just need to do a
quick-and-dirty solution to get something out the door.

Chris