Date:	Mon, 21 Jan 2013 18:09:39 -0600
From:	Matt Sealey <matt@...esi-usa.com>
To:	Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>
Cc:	John Stultz <john.stultz@...aro.org>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	Linux ARM Kernel ML <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: One of these things (CONFIG_HZ) is not like the others..

Okay so the final resolution of this is;

1) That the arch/arm/Kconfig HZ block is suffering from some cruft

I think we could all be fairly confident that Exynos4 or S5P does not
require HZ=200 - in theory, it has no such timer restrictions like
EBSA110 (the docs I have show a perfectly capable 32-bit timer with a
double-digits MHz input clock, since these are multimedia-class SoCs
it'd be seriously f**ked up if they didn't).

But while some of the entries on this line may be cargo-cult
programming, the original addition on top of EBSA110 *may* be one of
your "unreported" responsiveness issues.

We could just let some Samsung employees complain when Android 6.x
starts to get laggy with a 3.8 kernel because we forced their HZ=100.

What I would do is predicate a fixed, obvious default on
ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM so that it would get the benefit of a default HZ
that you agree with. It wouldn't CHANGE anything, but it makes it look
less funky, since the non-multiplatform settings would be somewhere
else (it either needs more comments or an if - either way - otherwise
it's potentially confusing);

if ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM
config HZ
   int
   default 100
else
   # old config HZ block here
endif

2) We need to add config SCHED_HRTICK as a copy and paste from
kernel/Kconfig.hz since.. well, I still don't understand exactly what
the true effect would be, but I assume since Arnd is concerned and
John's explanation rings true that it really should be enabled on ARM
systems with the exact same dependencies as kernel/Kconfig.hz.

Or not.. I see it as an oddity until I understand if we really care
about it, but the code seems to be fairly important to the scheduler
and also enabled by default almost everywhere else, which means only
people with really freakish SMP architectures with no ability to use
GENERIC_SMP_HELPERS have ever run these code paths besides ARM. That
kind of leaves ARM in the doghouse.. who knows what weirdo scheduler
reactions are related to it not being enabled. Maybe when it is, HZ
*would* need to be allowed to be bumped when using this code path?
Matt Sealey <matt@...esi-usa.com>
Product Development Analyst, Genesi USA, Inc.