Date:	Thu, 31 Jan 2013 06:40:14 +1100
From:	paul.szabo@...ney.edu.au
To:	dave@...ux.vnet.ibm.com, pavel@....cz
Cc:	695182@...s.debian.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm@...ck.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Reproducible OOM with just a few sleeps

Dear Pavel and Dave,

> The assertion was that 4GB with no PAE passed a forkbomb test (ooming)
> while 4GB of RAM with PAE hung, thus _PAE_ is broken.

Yes, PAE is broken. Still, maybe the above needs slight correction:
non-PAE HIGHMEM4G passed the "sleep test": no OOM, nothing unexpected;
whereas PAE OOMed then hung (tested with various RAM from 3GB to 64GB).

The feeling I get is that amd64 is proposed as a drop-in replacement for
PAE, that support and development of PAE is gone, that PAE is dead.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Szabo   psz@...hs.usyd.edu.au   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia