Date:	Mon, 4 Feb 2013 20:59:26 +0100 (CET)
From:	Jesper Juhl <jj@...osbits.net>
To:	syrine tlili <syrine.tl@...il.com>
cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Unchecked Null pointers

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, syrine tlili wrote:

> Hi:
> I would like to report a set of errors found in the source tree of
> Linux version 3.0.52 using a static analysis tool for vulnerability
> detection that I'm developing  based on GCC.

Cool. New useful tools are always nice. Where can I download it/look at
its source code?

> I have performed the security analysis on the whole linux 3.0.52
> distribution and my tool detected 18 errors related to the use of
> unchecked potential  null pointers.

May I suggest that you run your tool against a more recent code-base, such
as the lastest stable kernel (atm 3.7.6) or the latest 3.8-rc kernel
(currently 3.8-rc6) or a daily snapshor of Linus' kernel.
That may gain you more feedback from people.

> Some of these errors are also present in recent kernel versions such
> as version 3.6.4
> Details on the detected errors are listed below.
> I'm looking forward to getting your feedback on the reported errors.

[...]

I'd suggest, that a more useful way of getting feedback would be to run
the tool against a more recent (relevant) kernel source and then submit
actual patches attempting to *fix* the problems you find. That would be
more likely to get peoples attention - and would also potentially result
in some nice fixes being merged.

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@...osbits.net>       http://www.chaosbits.net/
Don't top-post http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html