Date:	Thu, 7 Feb 2013 08:02:36 +1100
From:	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
To:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
Cc:	Pekka Enberg <penberg@...nel.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Sasha Levin <levinsasha928@...il.com>,
	Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>,
	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
	Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>, tglx@...utronix.de,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...ux.intel.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: kvmtool tree (Was: Re: [patch] config: fix make kvmconfig)

Hi David,

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:12:57 -0800 (PST) David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013, Pekka Enberg wrote:
>
> > > Yeah, that's a good idea - I think Pekka can apply that change
> > > just fine to help anyone doing merges - I don't think kconfig
> > > treats it as a fatal error.
> >
> > Applied, thanks guys!
>
> Adding Stephen to the cc.
>
> What's the endgame for kvmtool/next?  The patch that this fixes has been
> sitting in linux-next for over 15 months and hasn't been pulled by Linus,
> yet some find it to be quite useful.
>
> Is it a permanent addition to linux-next, is there a route to mainline,
> or something else?

Linus has said that he will not take the kvmtool tree in its current
form, but would prefer that it be a separate project, so I should really
drop it from linux-next (and ask the tip guys to remove it from their
auto-latest branch).

I have actually been meaning to get back to this, so, today I will drop
the kvmtool tree and, Ingo, if you could (at your convenience i.e. when
you are next rebasing it) remove it from tip/auto-latest, thanks.

This does not, of course, rule out it being reinstated if Linus can be
convinced.  Nor does it make a judgement on the project itself, it is
just because linux-next is meant to represent what is to be merged into
Linus' tree in the next merge window.
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@...b.auug.org.au