Date:	Sun, 17 Feb 2013 11:42:16 +0100
From:	Toralf Förster <toralf.foerster@....de>
To:	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	boinc_dev@....berkeley.edu
Subject: shouldn't a non-privileged malformed sprintf crashes the kernel

This is the 2nd time in a row that a stable kernel (3.7.8 currently) crashes in such a way
that even the sys-rq key doesn't work any longer.
Found nothing in the log. The screen shot is here [1]. First time this issue was reported in [2].

The bug seems to be triggered by the BOINC client - I'm running the alpha version of it [3].

I'm wondering whether the sprintf issue discussed in [4] is the trigger for the bug
(I attached that message here b/c the BOINC devs doesn't allow just even read access
to the mail archive w/o registering).

@boinc_devs
IMO it would be helpful to store the pid of the BOINC clients to stdoutdae.txt too, or where can I find it ?

[1] http://ompldr.org/vaGh0MQ
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1438965
[3] https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=6698#46649
[4] http://lists.ssl.berkeley.edu/mailman/private/boinc_dev/2013-February/019545.html

--
MfG/Sincerely
Toralf Förster

Download attachment "Re: [boinc_dev] add time stamp to a back trace.eml" of type "message/rfc822" (17421 bytes)