Date:	Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:34:03 +0000
From:	Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi@....com>
To:	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:	Santosh Shilimkar <santosh.shilimkar@...com>,
	Jason Liu <liu.h.jason@...il.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: too many timer retries happen when do local timer swtich with
 broadcast timer

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 06:52:14PM +0000, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013, Lorenzo Pieralisi wrote:

> > > Well, the tick_broadcast_pending bit is uninteresting if the
> > > force_broadcast bit is set. Because if that bit is set we know for
> > > sure, that we got woken with the cpu which gets the broadcast timer
> > > and raced back to idle before the broadcast handler managed to
> > > send the IPI.
> >
> > Gah, my bad sorry, I mixed things up. I thought
> >
> > tick_check_broadcast_pending()
> >
> > was checking against the tick_broadcast_pending mask not
> >
> > tick_force_broadcast_mask
>
> Yep, that's a misnomer. I just wanted to make sure that my theory is
> correct. I need to think about the real solution some more.
>
> We have two alternatives:
>
> 1) Make the clockevents_notify function have a return value.
>
> 2) Add something like the hack I gave you with a proper name.
>
> The latter has the beauty, that we just need to modify the platform
> independent idle code instead of going down to every callsite of the
> clockevents_notify thing.

Thank you.

I am not sure (1) would buy us anything compared to (2) and as you said we
would end up patching all callsites so (2) is preferred.

As I mentioned, we can even just apply your fixes and leave platform specific
code deal with this optimization, at the end of the day idle driver has
just to check pending IRQs/wake-up sources (which would cover all IRQs not
just TIMER IPI) if and when it has to start time consuming operations like
cache cleaning to enter deep idle. If it goes into a shallow C-state so be it.

On x86 I think it is HW/FW that prevents C-state entering if IRQs are pending,
and on ARM it is likely to happen too, so I am just saying you should not
bother if you think the code becomes too hairy to justify this change.

Thank you very much for the fixes and your help,
Lorenzo