Date:	Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:54:24 -0500
From:	Rhyland Klein <rklein@...dia.com>
To:	Stephen Warren <swarren@...dotorg.org>
CC:	Anton Vorontsov <cbou@...l.ru>,
	David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
	Grant Likely <grant.likely@...retlab.ca>,
	Rob Herring <rob.herring@...xeda.com>,
	"linux-tegra@...r.kernel.org" <linux-tegra@...r.kernel.org>,
	"devicetree-discuss@...ts.ozlabs.org"
	<devicetree-discuss@...ts.ozlabs.org>,
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 2/3] power: power_supply: Add core support for supplied_nodes

On 2/22/2013 6:01 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 02/22/2013 02:55 PM, Rhyland Klein wrote:

>>> When parsing the DT, you can convert from phandle (or struct device_node
>>> *) to the name of the referenced supply by simple lookup. So, you could
>>> store supply names rather than device_node *. Can't you then also fill
>>> in the referenced supply's existing char** list of supplies?
>>>
>>> Of course, making this interact-with/use -EPROBE_DEFERRED might be
>>> challenging, since this would be operating in the inverse order to other
>>> producer/consumer relationships, which might cause loops.
>> The main problem I ran into when I was essentially trying to do this,
>> was that the list of names that
>> are used to match the power_supplies are the strings set as "name" in
>> the power_supply structs. This
>> doesn't get set automatically based on their nodes, and it is currently
>> up to each driver to define their
>> own name.
>>
>> For example, the sbs-battery driver uses the name "sbs-XXX" where XX is
>> its dev_name. Other drivers
>> use "%s-$%d" as i2c_device_id->name, + instance number. Then the only
>> solution I see is to require a new
>> property that defines the power-supply's name in the devicetree.
>>
>> This solution with device_nodes, while not ideal, seems the be the best
>> bet from what I see. Maybe
>> someone else has a better idea.
> For other resource types, this is handled by the (phandle -> whatever)
> conversion process actually being a function call on the referenced
> object, so that the driver code for it can look up the data in the
> actual device/... object etc. See the various .of_xlate functions that
> exist in the kernel.

I think this makes sense assuming we can change the existing supplies_to
property
to match this style so that there isn't an inversion in the 2 paths.

Then I think the idea of an of_xlate function would work fine given that
there are no
circular dependencies (causes issues with -EPROBE_DEFER). If that is the
case, then
we could add a step to power_supply registration where it would generate the
char * list of supplies and store it in the power_supply being
registered. In that way,
from then on, it wouldn't matter how the power_supply was registered,
and the list
of supplies would be the same in either case.

Anton, David, have you seen it, or can you potentially see a case where
circular
dependencies could arise? I can't but maybe you know of a situation I don't.

I will start working on patches to support this, including changing the way
supplied_to currently works, while I await answers whether or not it
would be
acceptable.

-rhyland

--