Date:	Fri, 1 Mar 2013 10:28:40 -0500
From:	Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@...hat.com>
To:	Mimi Zohar <zohar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc:	Eric Paris <eparis@...isplace.org>,
	LSM List <linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: IMA: How to manage user space signing policy with others

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 07:15:07AM -0500, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 20:49 -0500, Mimi Zohar wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 17:20 -0500, Eric Paris wrote:
>
> > > The ima_tcb policy was meant to be larger than needed to determine a
> > > trusted computing base, but it is clearly not a superset of what he is
> > > hoping to accomplish.
>
> The builtin measurement and appraisal policies are different.  In order
> not to miss a measurement, the measurement policy measures everything
> read/executed by root.   Userspace can constrain the policy by defining
> rules based on LSM labels.  The appraisal policy measures everything
> owned by root.  Userspace might want to add rules to appraise additional
> files.
>
> We can not OR the measurement builtin and userspace policies, as the
> userspace policy constrains the builtin policy, but for appraisal we
> could.  Perhaps we should define two rule chains, one for the builtin
> appraisal rules and another for all other rules.

Ok, just to make sure that I understand it right, I will summarize above.

So a user can overide/replace "measure and audit" rules but it can not
overide replace kernel's "appraise" rules and it can only append to
existing appraise rules.

So we internally define two rule chanins. All the appraisal rules
go in one rule chain and all other rules (measure and audit) go in
separate chain.

When user writes an "appraise" rule to "policy" file, it gets *appended*
to internal appraise rule chain and if user writes  a "measure or audit"
rule to "policy" file, it replaces the kernel's rules with user's rules.

Given the fact that policy file ABI is still in testing we should be
able to change semantics. (As currently user's appraise rules override
kernel's appraisal rules).

> When secure boot is defined, instead of having a NULL policy, the
> default policy would be the secureboot integrity policy.  These rules
> would be added to the builtin appraisal rule chain.  If the
> 'ima_appraise_tcb'  boot commandline option is specified, these rules
> would also be added to the builtin appraisal rule chain, but at the head
> of the chain, as they are more restrictive than the secureboot policy
> for root owned files.
>
> Vivek, would this work?

This should work except the result caching issue. If we are running a
partially signed user space, then unsigned process can write to disk
directly (of course with right permisions). So secureboot policy can not
cache appraisal results.

In fact thinking more about it, I think ima_appraise_tcb policy also
is vulnerable. This policy will not appraise files which are not
owned by root. And users belonging to group "disk" have write permission
to disks.

So if I create a user "foo" and add it to group "disk", it can now launch
its own processes and write to disk. And write to root owned files and
ima_appraise_tcb policy will not detect the change.

Hence, if ima_appraise_tcb rules are put in front of secureboot rules,
caching appraisal results opens a security hole.

Thanks
Vivek