Date:	Thu, 7 Mar 2013 09:20:13 +0100
From:	"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
To:	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>
Cc:	Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>,
	linux-man <linux-man@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux Containers <containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: For review: pid_namespaces(7) man page

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM, Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@...ssion.com> wrote:
> "Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@...il.com> writes:

>>> That seems reasonable.
>>>
>>> CLONE_THREAD might be better to talk about.  The check is CLONE_VM
>>> because it is easier and CLONE_THREAD implies CLONE_THREAD.

>>> Most definitely a thread group created with CLONE_THREAD.  It is pretty
>>> ugly in just the old fashioned CLONE_VM case too, but that might be
>>> legal.
>>>
>>> In a few cases I think the implementation overshoots and test for VM
>>> sharing instead of thread group membership because VM sharing is easier
>>> to test for, and we already have tests for that.
>>
>> So, in summary, the point is that CLONE_VM is being used as a proxy
>> for CLONE_THREAD because the former is easier to test for, and
>> CLONE_THREAD requires CLONE_VM, right?
>
> I am totally lost about what we are problem we are trying to resolve in
> the text at this point.  So I am taking this opportunity to review
> what is actually happening and hopefully give a clear and useful
> explanation.

The problem is that the existing text talks about multithreaded
processes needing to be in the same PID namespace and then jumps to
talking about restrictions with CLONE_VM (not CLONE_THREAD). The
reader may not realize know that CLONE_VM is a near synonym for
"multithreaded process".

However, the text you provide here is wonderful detail:

> The clone flags have some dependencies.
> CLONE_SIGHAND requires CLONE_VM.
> CLONE_THREAD requires CLONE_SIGHAND.
>
> Ultimately there are cases in here that are too strange to think about,
> and that no one cares (except so far to document what is going on).  The
> fundamental goal of these checks it to just not allow the cases that
> are too strange to think about.
>
> From a technical point of view CLONE_THREAD requires being in the same
> PID namespace so you can send signals to other threads in your process,
> and you need to see in proc all of the threads of your process.
>
> From a technical point of view CLONE_SIGHAND requries being in the same
> PID namespace because we need to know how to encode the PID of the
> sending process at the time a signal is enqueued in the destination
> queue.  A signal queue shared by processes in multiple PID namespaces
> will defeat that.
>
> From a technical point of view CLONE_VM requires all of the threads to
> be in a PID namespace, because from the point of view of coredump code
> if two processes share the same address space they are threads and will
> be core dumped together.  When a coredump is written the pid of each
> thread is written into the coredump.  Writing the pids could not
> meaningfully succeed if some of the pids were in a parent PID namespace.
>
> Therefore there is a technical requirement for each of CLONE_THREAD,
> CLONE_SIGHAND, CLONE_VM to share a PID namespace.
>
> In the code in the kernel testing only for CLONE_VM is a shorthand for
> testing for any of CLONE_THREAD, CLONE_SIGHAND, or CLONE_VM.

I will incorporate most of the above into the page.

> On the flip side the addition by unshare(CLONE_NEWPID) of
> unshare(CLONE_THREAD) actually appears to be bogus

I agree that it seems strange.

Cheers,

Michael

--