Date:	Sun, 10 Mar 2013 16:47:00 +0100
From:	Sascha Wilde <wilde@...-bang.de>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Salvatore Sisinni <s.sisinni@...il.com>,
	Roberto Oppedisano <roberto.oppedisano@...racom.it>
Subject: Re: regression in linux 3.7 - fan speed at 100% after suspend/resume at 100%

Sascha Wilde <wilde@...-bang.de> wrote:
[...]
> [2]  FWIW², I'm under the stron impression that the whole fan control
>      changed in the latest vanilla kernels on my 6910p even before doing
>      a suspend/resume -- it seems to be more "binary" if you will, in
>      that the fan is not running at all for a while and then at a 100%
>      to return back to 0% after doing some serious cooling.  With 3.6.11
>      and older it is more "analogue", with slow fan when only a bit
>      cooling is needed.  No idea if this is related to the issue at
>      hand.

For that part of the problem I just discovered something that might be a
hint on the cause, there is no governor set for the thermal zones:

/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/policy : (null)
/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone1/policy : (null)
/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone2/policy : (null)
/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone3/policy : (null)
/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone4/policy : (null)

to my understanding this policies should default default to the
CONFIG_THERMAL_DEFAULT_GOV_*
configured in the kernel.  But it is always (null) for me.  And
something like
# echo fair_share >/sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/policy
does not work either.

Or is this expected behavior?

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde : "There are 10 types of people in the world.
             : Those who understand binary and those who don't."