Date:	Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:01:29 +0100
From:	Stephane Eranian <eranian@...gle.com>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...radead.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] perf fixes

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:06 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Stephane Eranian <eranian@...gle.com> wrote:
>>
>> I bet if you force the affinity of your perf record to be on
>> a CPU other than CPU0, you will not get the crash.
>>
>> This is what I am seeing now. I appears on resume,
>> CPU0 hotplug callbacks for perf_events are not invoked
>> leaving DS_AREA MSR to 0.
>>
>> Can you confirm on your machine?
>
> I'm not even going to bother confirming it, because I think you're
> right, and I think the reason is clear: the DS initialization code
> uses the CPU_UP notifiers.

Ok, I instrumented the pebs_enable() function and I confirm that
DS_AREA=0 on resume.

So what seems broken here for me is that on suspend, the cpu notifier
ends up calling fini_debug_store() to clear DS_AREA for CPU0. But
on resume, the same notifier does NOT call the init_debug_store().
I don't understand this asymmetry. You either do neither or you do
both.