Date:	Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:48:10 +0000
From:	"Jon Medhurst (Tixy)" <tixy@...aro.org>
To:	Prabhakar Lad <prabhakar.csengg@...il.com>
Cc:	LAK <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Michal Marek <mmarek@...e.cz>,
	Andreas Schwab <schwab@...ux-m68k.org>
Subject: [BUG] mod/file2alias: build error in devicetable-offsets.c [was:
 asm/types.h Header file wont get generated while building uImage ?]

On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 13:31 +0530, Prabhakar Lad wrote:
> Usually for building uImage I follow this steps,
> 1: do a clean distclean
> 2: make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=xxx   xxxdefconfig
> 3: make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=xxx  uImage
>
> This used to work until 3.8, for 3.9 I see the following error:
>
>   HOSTCC  scripts/genksyms/parse.tab.o
> In file included from include/linux/types.h:5:0,
>                  from include/linux/mod_devicetable.h:11,
>                  from scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.c:2:
> include/uapi/linux/types.h:4:23: fatal error: asm/types.h: No such
> file or directory
> compilation terminated.
>
> Well this get fixed if do  make ARCH=arm
> CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- headers_install
> and the build the uImage.

I am seeing a similar problem.

This appears to be introduced by commit 6543becf (mod/file2alias: make
modalias generation safe for cross compiling). More specifically a race
condition between the generation of devicetable-offsets.h and the
generation of asm/types.h by scripts/Makefile.asm-generic.

For builds which succeed I see this order:

  WRAP    arch/arm/include/generated/asm/types.h
  [...]
  GEN     include/generated/asm-offsets.h

and for those which fail:

  CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
  In file included from include/linux/types.h:5:0,
                   from include/linux/mod_devicetable.h:11,
                   from scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.c:2:
  include/uapi/linux/types.h:4:23: fatal error: asm/types.h: No such file or directory
  [...]
  WRAP    arch/arm/include/generated/asm/types.h

These makefile and scripts are a bit beyond my immediate understanding
so can't suggest a fix.

--
Tixy