Date:	Wed, 27 Mar 2013 22:35:20 -0700
From:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
To:	Ley Foon Tan <lftan@...era.com>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, arnd@...db.de,
	linux-arch@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Generic syscall ABI support

On 03/27/2013 08:09 PM, Ley Foon Tan wrote:
> Need advise regarding the generic syscall ABI support.
>
> We are planning to upstream our Nios II kernel (arch/nios2) to mainline.
> But it doesn't support generic syscall ABI yet (It requires an updated
> Glibc port as well).
>
> The question is, is it a requirement for new arch to support generic
> syscall ABI when upstreaming? Can we upstream a non-generic syscall ABI
> first and migrate to generic syscall ABI in future?
> Thanks.
>
> Regards
> LFTAN

That would be extremely difficult.

In general, you should use the generic ABI for a new port unless you
have *very* strong and convincing reasons not to.

Given how long the Nios2 port has been in upstreaming (unfortunate, I
like to play with FPGAs ;) it seems worthwhile to adjust it before
pushing it.

	-hpa