Date:	Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:14:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
	Alexander Shishkin <alexander.shishkin@...ux.intel.com>,
	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch for-3.8-rc8] usb, chipidea: fix link error when USB_EHCI_HCD
 is a module

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

> > It's your subsystem, if you want to release a kernel with a known-broken
> > config, that's your call.
>
> As you point out, it's been "known broken" since 3.7, no rush now to fix
> it, especially so late in the merge window. :)

It's "known broken" as of today because I've made you aware of it and
provided a patch to fix it.  I annotated the changelog with
stable@...r.kernel.org since v3.7 since the problem goes back to that time
because of the commit quoted in the changelog.

The Kconfig allows for the broken config in 3.8-rc8, so I see no risk
whatosever in fixing it to prevent specifically that broken combination.
But again, it's your subsystem so if you'd like to drop this plainly
obvious fix, that's completely your call.

> The chipidea maintainer has a big update all queued up in my trees for
> 3.10-rc1, if you could verify that linux-next fixes your problem, I
> would appreciate it.

As stated, linux-next as of today has this problem.  If you have a public
git tree with patches that touch this area that are not pushed to
linux-next, please send me the location and I'll try the combination
stated in the changelog.  (You could do that, as well, if you want.)