Date:	Fri, 03 May 2013 21:21:33 +0000
From:	Nick <nick@....net>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: PROBLEM: Random kernel panic & system freeze when watching
 video

I experience a similar error on a Lenovo X201 notebook, maybe my
information will help to identify the reason of the issue.
My mcelog output is:

MCE 0
CPU 2 BANK 2
TIME 1367614521 Fri May  3 20:55:21 2013
MCG status:
MCi status:
Uncorrected error
Error enabled
Processor context corrupt
MCA: Internal parity error
STATUS b200000000000005 MCGSTATUS 0
MCGCAP c09 APICID 4 SOCKETID 0
CPUID Vendor Intel Family 6 Model 37

The issue seem to be related to this particular model of notebook. The
problem appears when starting Java applications and when a
memory-hungry, but not a CPU-hungry Java process is launched. It never
happened on simply a CPU-intensive task. The issue existed for a couple
of years, but I didn't manage to get a MCE message before, it just hung.
The same issue seems to exist with the same Lenovo model on a friend's
notebook running Windows. At first I thought it is temperature related
(as this Lenovo notebook seems some problems with fan control code), but
it doesn't look like this. I set the fan to full speed manually, the
error happens even when I'm in very cold environments, the notebook
doesn't gets warm (subjectively), etc.

I'm posting this just to point out that this looks like some serial
manufacturing issue that people should beware of or develop some way of
early detection.