Date:	Mon, 06 May 2013 18:35:16 -0500
From:	Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	hayeswang <hayeswang@...ltek.com>,
	Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [GIT] Networking

On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 15:22 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 14:17 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 11:53 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > > Grr. That was much more readable while editing, then gmail ended up
> > > doing its "smart line wrap" thing and my nice long lines became a
> > > mess. I think you can still figure it out,
> >
> > Yeah, the dump is good, and it seems to point to a problem in NM for
> > now.  I'm investigating.
>
> If you don't mind helping me confirm/reject a theory, would you mind:
>
> 1) drop "level=debug" into the [logging] section
> of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (create the section if it
> doesn't exist)
>
> 2) reboot (or just rmmod/modprobe r8169 if that's enough to trigger it)
>
> 3) grab syslog and send it to me (privately if you wish)

Spent a while trying to reproduce this on a tg3 today, twiddling the
carrier from the code, but failed to do so...  if you're at all able to
get the debug logs here as mentioned here, that would help greatly.

Contrary to the suggestion above, changing the log level in
NetworkManager.conf does not immediately start logging in that level,
you do need to restart NM.  So with that in mind, I'd suggest a full
reboot of the system just to make sure we have the exact same situation
as when you experience the problem.

(I'm still mystified how the netdev features thing "fixes" this
though...)

Thanks!
Dan