Date:	Mon, 20 May 2013 21:02:12 +0100
From:	John Harrison <LKML@...drik.org.uk>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: System hang running 'smartctl -l xerror'

Hello,

I have a very reproducible problem such that running 'smartctl -l
xerror,1 /dev/sd#' while other disk activity is occurring will cause a
complete system hang. The access light for the disk being queried
remains lit (the others are off) and there is no response on the
keyboard. No messages are printed to the console. The only thing I can
do is power cycle the system.

This is on an Intel Atom D945GCLF2 motherboard with an add in SiI 3124
SATA controller. Both of the motherboard channels and three of the SiI
channels have disks attached (one Samsung, four WD). Three of the WD
disks are an MD raid set. The system is running Debian 'testing'. It was
kernel version 3.2.23 but I have just upgraded to 3.2.41 (the latest
Debian kernel source package) and the problem still occurs.

I have searched the mailing list but can't spot anything that looks
similar. Note that the system is running fine in other respects. The
hang only happens when querying the SMART log during a period of high
disk activity.

Thanks,
John.