Date:	Thu, 30 May 2013 21:00:01 +0200
From:	Jon Arne Jørgensen <jonarne@...arne.no>
To:	Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi>
Cc:	Jon Arne Jørgensen <jonarne@...arne.no>,
	Andy Walls <awalls@...metrocast.net>,
	Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...hat.com>,
	linux-media@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	hans.verkuil@...co.com, prabhakar.csengg@...il.com,
	g.liakhovetski@....de, ezequiel.garcia@...e-electrons.com
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/3] saa7115: Set saa7113 init to values from datasheet

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 08:33:32AM +0300, Timo Teras wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 07:21:36 +0200
> Jon Arne Jørgensen <jonarne@...arne.no> wrote:

> > > I was going to make a comment along the same line as Mauro.
> > > Please leave the driver defaults alone.  It is almost impossible to
> > > regression test all the different devices with a SAA7113 chip, to
> > > ensure the change doesn't cause someone's device to not work
> > > properly.
> > >

> > You guys are totally right.
> >
> > What if I clone the original saa7113_init table into a new one, and
> > make the driver use the new one if the calling driver sets
> > platform_data.
> >
> > Something like this?
> >
> >         switch (state->ident) {
> >         case V4L2_IDENT_SAA7111:
> >         case V4L2_IDENT_SAA7111A:
> >                 saa711x_writeregs(sd, saa7111_init);
> >                 break;
> >         case V4L2_IDENT_GM7113C:
> >         case V4L2_IDENT_SAA7113:
> > -		saa711x_writeregs(sd, saa7113_init);
> > +		if (client->dev.platform_data)
> > +			saa711x_writeregs(sd, saa7113_new_init);
> > +		else
> > +			saa711x_writeregs(sd, saa7113_init);
>
> I would rather have the platform_data provide the new table. Or if you
> think bulk of the table will be the same for most users, then perhaps
> add there an enum saying which table to use - and name the tables
> according to the chip variant it applies to.

I think the bulk of the table will be the same for all drivers.
It's one bit here and one bit there that needs changing.
As the driver didn't support platform data.
Changing to a new init table for the drivers that implement
platform_data shouldn't cause any regressions.

Best regards
Jon Arne Jørgensen