Date:	Tue, 18 Jun 2013 01:30:57 +0000
From:	Shuah Khan <shuah.kh@...sung.com>
To:	"rjw@...k.pl" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	"a.zummo@...ertech.it" <a.zummo@...ertech.it>
Cc:	"rtc-linux@...glegroups.com" <rtc-linux@...glegroups.com>,
	"linux-pm@...r.kernel.org" <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>,
	Shuah Khan <shuah.kh@...sung.com>,
	"shuahkhan@...il.com" <shuahkhan@...il.com>
Subject: pm: System date and time set incorrectly after suspend/resume to disk

I am seeing a problem on my system after a suspend to disk in reboot or
shutdown mode. When pm_trace is 0 (which is the default), I can't
reproduce the problem easily. I have to run a few more suspend tests
before I see the problem. When pm_trace is disabled, the problem showed
up when I ran suspend in platform mode in a row. However when pm_ptrace
is enabled, problem happens on the very first spend to disk in reboot mode.

Steps to run into the issue:

echo 1 > pm_print_times
echo 1 > pm_trace
echo reboot > disk
echo disk > state

or

echo 1 > pm_print_times
echo 1 > pm_trace
echo shutdown > disk
echo disk > state

When system comes back up, system time set to incorrect time.

In this latest round of testing:

time before suspend was Mon Jun 17 16:27 MDT 2013
right after resume was Thu Oct 5 18:24:42 MDT 2028

I have NTP enabled on my system and I have to disable/re-enable NTP from
Time and Date config menu.

rtc class suspend routine rtc_suspend() does adjustments to account for
the time spent suspended. Is that the right one run in this case?

rtc_suspend() doesn't run because has_persistent_clock() returns true.
rtc-cmos pnp driver suspend routines runs.

It is a possible race condition that is triggered when the conditions
are right.

I have the following enabled in my config

CONFIG_RTC_CLASS=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=y
CONFIG_RTC_SYSTOHC=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE="rtc0"

Looking for tips on debugging the problem.

thanks,
-- Shuah
Shuah Khan, Linux Kernel Developer - Open Source Group Samsung Research
America (Silicon Valley) shuah.kh@...sung.com | (970) 672-0658