Date:	Mon, 24 Jun 2013 17:39:03 +0200
From:	Andreas Karlsson <andreas@...xel.se>
To:	Christian Stroetmann <stroetmann@...olinux.com>
CC:	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>,
	Linux FS Devel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Tux3 <tux3@...3.org>,
	Daniel Phillips <daniel.raymond.phillips@...il.com>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Tux3 Report: Meet Shardmap, the designated successor of HTree

Hi,

I assume it is serious since ideas cannot be copyrighted in most (or
maybe even all) countries.

 From the FAQ of the U.S. Copyright Office [1]:

"Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of
operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."

"How do I protect my idea?

Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing
something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim
copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not
protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work."

Andreas

[1] http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-protect.html#what_protect

On 06/24/2013 05:16 PM, Christian Stroetmann wrote:
> Dear Mr. Pavel Machek:
>
> Is this a serious comment?
> Nevertheless, this is a copyrighted idea [1].
>

> Sincerely
> Christian Stroetmann
>
> [1] Log-Structured Hash-based File System (LogHashFS or LHFS;
> www.ontonics.com/innovation/pipeline.htm#loghashfs)
>
>> Hi!
>>
>>> At first you came up with a file system that can handle a great
>>> many/billions files and has ACID feature, which are both features of
>>> my Ontologic File System (OntoFS; see [1]). Both were said to be a
>>> no-go at that time (around 2007 and 2008).
>>> Then you came up, with my concept of a log-structured hashing based
>>> file system [2] and [3], presented it as your invention yesterday
>>> [4], and even integrated it with your Tux3 file system that already
>>> has or should have the said features of my OntoFS. I only waited for
>>> this step by somebody strongly connected with the company Samsung
>>> since the October 2012. AIso, I do think that both steps are very
>>> clear signs that shows what is going on behind the curtain.
>>> And now your are so bold and please me that I should credit these
>>> ideas in the sense of crediting your ideas. For sure, I always do
>>> claim for copyright of my ideas, and the true question is if you are
>>> allowed to implement them at all. In this conjunction, I would give
>> Fortunately, you can't copyright ideas. Chuck Norris managed to do it
>> once, but you can't.
>>
>> Pavel

Andreas Karlsson