Date:	Mon, 24 Jun 2013 17:15:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Lang <david@...g.hm>
To:	Christian Stroetmann <stroetmann@...olab.com>
cc:	richard -rw- weinberger <richard.weinberger@...il.com>,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux FS Devel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Tux3 <tux3@...3.org>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas@...xel.se>,
	Daniel Phillips <daniel.raymond.phillips@...il.com>,
	Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Subject: Re: Tux3 Report: Meet Shardmap, the designated successor of HTree

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Christian Stroetmann wrote:

> Dear Mr. Richard Weinberger:
>
> Thank you very much for the reminder and the prove again that a profound
> discussion seems not to be possible. Even more important is the point that
> the discussion related with the ReiserFS was different than this discussion,
> because this time I have not presented the LogHashFS to the open source
> community, but another person has taken copyright descriptions from my
> websites and wanted to make it an open source project and this even by the
> support of another company, which by the way has its very own business
> strategy.

unless they copied your descriptions pretty close to word for word it's not a
copyright violation.

It's perfectly legal to take the ideas from one document and write a new
document that explains those ideas. The copyright is on the exact text, not on
the ideas.

Patents give you the right to the idea, Copyright only gives you the right to
the particular expression of the idea.

If you published a paper explaining the concept of a LogHashFS that contained no
code, then anyone who actually wrote a filesystem implementing the ideas in your
paper could not possibly be violating your copyright (unless they included too
much of your paper in comments), because they wrote code, not a paper.

David Lang