Date:	Sat, 29 Jun 2013 13:03:18 -0500
From:	Nathan Zimmer <nzimmer@....com>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Cc:	Nathan Zimmer <nzimmer@....com>,
	Daniel J Blueman <daniel@...ascale-asia.com>,
	Mike Travis <travis@....com>, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	holt@....com, rob@...dley.net,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>, yinghai@...nel.org,
	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>, x86@...nel.org,
	linux-doc@...r.kernel.org,
	Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Steffen Persvold <sp@...ascale.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Transparent on-demand memory setup initialization
	embedded in the (GFP) buddy allocator

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 09:24:41AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Nathan Zimmer <nzimmer@....com> wrote:

> > >page heads.

> > >prehistoric desktop

> > > The complexity of a directory-lookup architecture to make the
> > > (intrinsically unscalable) cache-coherency protocol scalable gives you
> > > a ~1us roundtrip to remote NUMA nodes.
> > >
> > > Probably a lot of time is spent in some memsets, and RMW cycles which
> > > are setting page bits, which are intrinsically synchronous, so the
> > > initialising core can't get to 12 or so outstanding memory
> > > transactions.
> > >
> > > Since EFI memory ranges have a flag to state if they are zerod (which
> > > may be a fair assumption for memory on non-bootstrap processor NUMA
> > > nodes), we can probably collapse the RMWs to just writes.
> > >
> > > A normal write will require a coherency cycle, then a fetch and a
> > > writeback when it's evicted from the cache. For this purpose,
> > > non-temporal writes would eliminate the cache line fetch and give a
> > > massive increase in bandwidth. We wouldn't even need a store-fence as
> > > the initialising core is the only one online.
> >
> > Could you elaborate a bit more? or suggest a specific area to look at?
> >
> > After some experiments with trying to just set some fields in the struct
> > page directly I haven't been able to produce any improvements.  Of
> > course there is lots about the area which I don't have much experience
> > with.
>
> Any such improvement will at most be in the 10-20% range.
>
> I'd suggest first concentrating on the 1000-fold boot time initialization
> speedup that the buddy allocator delayed initialization can offer, and
> speeding up whatever remains after that stage - in a much more
> development-friendly environment. (You'll be able to run 'perf record
> ./calloc-1TB' after bootup and get meaningful results, etc.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	Ingo

I had been focusing on the bigger gains but my attention had been diverted by
hope of an easy, alibiet smaller, win.

I have been experimenting with the patch proper, I am just doing 2MB pages for
the moment.  The improvement is vast,  I'll worry about proper numbers once I
think I have a fully working patch.

Some progress is being made on the real patch.  I think the memory is
being set up correctly, On aligned pages setting the up the page as normal
plus setting new PG_ flag.

Right now I am trying to sort out free_pages_prepare and free_pages_check.

Thanks,
Nate