Date:	Wed, 10 Jul 2013 22:17:23 +0200
From:	Oliver Schinagl <oliver+list@...inagl.nl>
To:	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
CC:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux@...ck-us.net,
	khali@...ux-fr.org
Subject: Re: Driver core and sysfs changes for attribute groups

On 07/10/13 22:05, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> Hi all,
Hey Greg,

> Guenter and Oliver have been pointing out a few limitations of the
> driver core's ability to create files properly (i.e. in a way that
> doesn't race with userspace.)  The driver core allows this, but it
> doesn't export that ability to drivers very easily, and for binary
> files, not at all.
Exactly, even the patch you supplied didn't help, as it created the
binary attributes for devices, not device_drivers or platform_drivers.

> So here's a set of 6 patches that I'll be queueing up to go to Linus in
> time for 3.11 so that people can start using them in their driver
> subsystems.  It adds some new macros to make using attributes and
> attribute groups easier, adds binary file capabilities to attribute
> groups, and finally, lets subsystems (like platform drivers) set a
> attribute group for when their device is created.
Oh, that does some like iceing on the cake.

> If anyone has any problems with these patches, please let me know.

I will try this patch set immediately and report back.

> Guenter, I've tweaked your original patch a bit, changing the name of
> the function and putting the kernel doc comments in the correct place so
> the build doesn't complain about it.
>
> I also have a set of follow-on patches, about 50+ big so far, that goes
> through the kernel and converts different drivers and subsystems to
> properly use attribute groups, instead of open-coding binary files and
> attributes.  Those patches will be sent out later, and will be for 3.12
> as they aren't needed at the moment, this infrastructure changes are
> needed first.
>
> thanks,
Thank you Greg, this is far more robust that what I cooked up (adding
bin_attrs to struct device_driver. I was just going to send it to the
list as well when I saw this message :)

> greg k-h

Oliver