Date:	Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:53:15 -0700
From:	Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com>
To:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Cc:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@...hat.com>,
	Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>, "Shi, Alex" <alex.shi@...el.com>,
	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>,
	Michel Lespinasse <walken@...gle.com>,
	Davidlohr Bueso <davidlohr.bueso@...com>,
	"Wilcox, Matthew R" <matthew.r.wilcox@...el.com>,
	Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>,
	Rik van Riel <riel@...hat.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>
Subject: Re: Performance regression from switching lock to rw-sem for
 anon-vma tree

On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 08:45 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com> wrote:

> > > Hm, I'm running out of quick ideas :-/ The writer-ends-spinning sequence
> > > is pretty similar in the rwsem and in the mutex case. I'd have a look at
> > > one more detail: is the wakeup of another writer in the rwsem case
> > > singular, is only a single writer woken? I suspect the answer is yes ...
> >
> > Ingo, we can only wake one writer, right? In __rwsem_do_wake, that is
> > indeed the case.  Or you are talking about something else?
>
> Yeah, I was talking about that, and my understanding and reading of the
> code says that too - I just wanted to make sure :-)
>

> > > A quick glance suggests that the ordering of wakeups of waiters is the
> > > same for mutexes and rwsems: FIFO, single waiter woken on
> > > slowpath-unlock. So that shouldn't make a big difference.

Ingo,

I tried MCS locking to order the writers but
it didn't make much difference on my particular workload.
After thinking about this some more,  a likely explanation of the
performance difference between mutex and rwsem performance is:

1) Jobs acquiring mutex put itself on the wait list only after
optimistic spinning.  That's only 2% of the time on my
test workload so they access the wait list rarely.

2) Jobs acquiring rw-sem for write *always* put itself on the wait
list first before trying lock stealing and optimistic spinning.
This creates a bottleneck at the wait list, and also more
cache bouncing.

One possible optimization is to delay putting the writer on the
wait list till after optimistic spinning, but we may need to keep
track of the number of writers waiting.  We could add a WAIT_BIAS
to count for each write waiter and remove the WAIT_BIAS each time a
writer job completes.  This is tricky as I'm changing the
semantics of the count field and likely will require a number of changes
to rwsem code.  Your thoughts on a better way to do this?

Thanks.

Tim