Date:	Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:51:19 -0700
From:	"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@...senpartnership.com>
Cc:	ksummit-2013-discuss@...ts.linuxfoundation.org,
	Darren Hart <dvhart@...ux.intel.com>,
	stable <stable@...r.kernel.org>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] How to act on LKML (was: [
 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review)

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 10:14:49AM +0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 14:18 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > Can you formulate the process issue to discuss?  I've heard "Linus needs
> > > to yell less at people" and "the mailing lists need to be more
> > > 'professional'" neither of which seems to identify an actual process.
> > > Are we perhaps discussing guidelines for giving feedback on patches?

> > > How about Lychees?  They're prickly on the outside, very wet on the
> > > inside and have large stones ...
> >
> > They taste good, too.
> >
> > > But what are the viewpoints?  "maintainers need to yell more"?
> > > "maintainers need to yell less"?  I don't think I agree with either.
> > > I'm perfectly happy to run linux-scsi along reasonable standards of
> > > civility and try to keep the debates technical, but that's far easier to
> > > do on a low traffic list; obviously, I realise that style of argument
> > > doesn't suit everyone, so it's not a standard of behaviour I'd like to
> > > see universally imposed.  In fact, I've got to say that I wouldn't like
> > > to see *any* behaviour standard imposed ... they're all basically cover
> > > for power plays (or soon get abused as power plays); the only real way
> > > to display leadership on behaviour standards is by example not by fiat.
> >
> > OK, I am stupid enough to take a stab at this...
> >
> > 1.	Does the Linux kernel community's health depend on the occasional
> > 	rant?  [My guess is that we simply have no way of knowing.
> > 	That said, I would be interested in hearing specific examples
> > 	of open-source communities that are as doing as well as is the
> > 	Linux community and that live within stricter social mores.
> > 	Cue arguments about exactly what "doing well" means...]
> >
> > 2.	Could the Linux kernel community's health be improved by banning
> > 	the occasional rant?  [Again, I don't believe that we have any
> > 	way of knowing.]
> >
> > 3.	Is there some reasonable way to accommodate a wide range of
> > 	styles of interaction within the Linux community?  [I hope that
> > 	the answer is "yes", but it probably becomes impossible if you
> > 	add the qualifier "that everyone is happy with".]
> >
> > 4.	If there is some reasonable way to accommodate a wide range
> > 	of styles of interaction within the Linux community, can this
> > 	be done globally, or does this require that people who prefer a
> > 	specific style confine themselves to portions of the community
> > 	that practice that specific style?  [As I grow older, I become
> > 	increasingly pessimistic about the possibility of keeping everyone
> > 	happy, but who knows?]
> >
> > For whatever it is worth...
>
> Well, you have friends in acadaemia, perhaps there might be an
> interesting study here.  If you consider the management style of the
> kernel, does it enable contributions from a broader range of people than
> would be tolerated in industry?  Industry has a problem with what
> managers like to call "brilliant jerks" people who have a well
> recognised talent but who cannot be controlled (at least by the
> aforementioned managers) and become corrosive to the team (do we
> [...]

I do like your problem statement better than mine, but I must add that
I have come across people who are much more "outspoken" in proprietary
projects than I have seen on LKML.  Sorry, no quotes via email, even
private email.  Face-to-face verbal only for that level of nastiness.

Most of my friends in academia are in computer science, but I have come
across a few business-school types.  Is this something that LF would be
interested in allowing me to place its name behind?

Also, such a study would require some interaction with the researchers,
should any be interested.  Would people be willing to be interviewed,
either by phone or email?  Or would such a study need to content itself
with analysis of email archives and online news sites?

							Thanx, Paul