Date:	Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:05:26 -0500
From:	Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...inger.net>
To:	"Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン)"
	<rol@...be.net>
CC:	Richard Genoud <richard.genoud@...il.com>,
	Chaoming Li <chaoming_li@...lsil.com.cn>,
	"John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: rtl8192cu: slow path warning

On 07/23/2013 07:29 AM, Paul Rolland (ポール・ロラン) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:33:20 +0200
> Richard Genoud <richard.genoud@...il.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, of course, you can add my
>> Reported-by: Richard Genoud <richard.genoud@...il.com>
>>
>> But the patch doesn't compile on my platform ( since I'm on ARM, I
>> haven't got a PCI bus, so rtlwifi/pci.c is not compiled ) :
>>
>> ERROR: "rtl_lps_change_work_callback"
>> [drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtlwifi.ko] undefined!
>
> Is that the reason why this patch is not yet in 3.10.x or 3.11-rcY ?
> I'm running a 3.10.1 with USB dongle including 8192CU, and I can see this
> warning when the machine starts.
> I've check 3.10.1, 3.10.2 and 3.11-rc3 source code, but this fix is not
> there. Is there a different fix that went in in 3.10.2 or 3.11-rc?

The reason that patch is not in mainline is that it takes time. If you want to
have it, you can get the official patch from
http://marc.info/?l=linux-wireless&m=137242880222442&w=2, or you need to
implement kernels from the wireless-testing git tree, where it was added on June
28 as commit bcfb879. My original patch included the following note for John
Linville:

"Ideally, this patch should be pushed to the 3.10 stream; however, at this late
time that is not possible. Please push it for 3.11 and the Cc to stable will get
it into 3.10.X."

As you see, it was marked with a Cc for Stable, and it will be propagated to
3.10 when it gets incorporated by Linus. I think I have done all that I can do
for now.

If you want to lobby Linus to get stuff accepted faster, that is your
prerogative; however, I could not recommend that action, and I certainly will
never do anything like that.

Larry