Date:	Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:34:46 -0700
From:	Sören Brinkmann <soren.brinkmann@...inx.com>
To:	Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org>
CC:	Stephen Boyd <sboyd@...eaurora.org>,
	John Stultz <john.stultz@...aro.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Stuart Menefy <stuart.menefy@...com>,
	Russell King <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
	Michal Simek <michal.simek@...inx.com>,
	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: Enable arm_global_timer for Zynq brakes boot

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:47:15AM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 02:03 AM, Sören Brinkmann wrote:
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 02:51:49PM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> > (snip)
> >>
> >> the CPUIDLE_FLAG_TIMER_STOP flag tells the cpuidle framework the local
> >> timer will be stopped when entering to the idle state. In this case, the
> >> cpuidle framework will call clockevents_notify(ENTER) and switches to a
> >> broadcast timer and will call clockevents_notify(EXIT) when exiting the
> >> idle state, switching the local timer back in use.
> >
> > I've been thinking about this, trying to understand how this makes my
> > boot attempts on Zynq hang. IIUC, the wrongly provided TIMER_STOP flag
> > would make the timer core switch to a broadcast device even though it
> > wouldn't be necessary. But shouldn't it still work? It sounds like we do
> > something useless, but nothing wrong in a sense that it should result in
> > breakage. I guess I'm missing something obvious. This timer system will
> > always remain a mystery to me.
> >
> > Actually this more or less leads to the question: What is this
> > 'broadcast timer'. I guess that is some clockevent device which is
> > common to all cores? (that would be the cadence_ttc for Zynq). Is the
> > hang pointing to some issue with that driver?
>
> If you look at the /proc/timer_list, which timer is used for broadcasting ?

So, the correct run results (full output attached).

The vanilla kernel uses the twd timers as local timers and the TTC as
broadcast device:
	Tick Device: mode:     1
	Broadcast device
	Clock Event Device: ttc_clockevent

When I remove the offending CPUIDLE flag and add the DT fragment to
enable the global timer, the twd timers are still used as local timers
and the broadcast device is the global timer:
	Tick Device: mode:     1
	Broadcast device
	Clock Event Device: arm_global_timer

Again, since boot hangs in the actually broken case, I don't see way to
obtain this information for that case.

	Thanks,
	Sören

View attachment "timer_list_vanilla" of type "text/plain" (4230 bytes)

View attachment "timer_list_gt" of type "text/plain" (4277 bytes)