Date:	Tue, 06 Aug 2013 14:30:04 +0200
From:	Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org>
To:	Michal Simek <michal.simek@...inx.com>
CC:	Sören Brinkmann <soren.brinkmann@...inx.com>,
	Stuart Menefy <stuart.menefy@...com>,
	Stephen Boyd <sboyd@...eaurora.org>,
	John Stultz <john.stultz@...aro.org>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Russell King <linux@....linux.org.uk>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org
Subject: Re: Enable arm_global_timer for Zynq brakes boot

On 08/06/2013 11:18 AM, Michal Simek wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 10:46 AM, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>> On 08/06/2013 03:28 AM, Sören Brinkmann wrote:
>>> Hi Daniel,

>>> I was actually waiting for an update from your side and did something
>>> else, but I seem to have run into this again. I was overhauling the
>>> cadence_ttc (patch attached, based on tip/timers/core). And it seems to
>>> show the same behavior as enabling the global_timer. With cpuidle off, it
>>> works. With cpuidle, on it hangs. Removing the TIMER_STOP flag from the
>>> C2 state makes it boot again.
>>> It works just fine on our 3.10 kernel.
>>
>> This is not necessary related to the bug. If the patch you sent broke
>> the cadence_ttc driver, when you use it (with the TIMER_STOP), you will
>> be stuck. Removing the flag, may signifies you don't use the broadcast
>> timer, hence the bug is not surfacing.
>>
>> Going back to the bug with the arm_global_timer, what is observed is the
>> broadcast timer is *shutdown* when the second cpu is online.
>>
>> I have to dig into the kernel/time/clockevents.c|tick-*.c because IMO
>> the issue is coming from there but before I have to reproduce the bug,
>> so find a board I have where I can add the arm_global_timer.
>>
>>> Another thing I noticed - probably unrelated but hard to tell: On
>>> 3.11-rc1 and later my system stops for quite some time at the hand off
>>> to userspace. I.e. I see the 'freeing unused kernel memory...' line and
>>> sometimes the following 'Welcome to Buildroot...' and then it stops and
>>> on good kernels it continues after a while and boots through and on bad
>>> ones it just hangs there.
>>
>> did you try to dump the stacks with magic-sysrq ? Or git bisect ?
>
> Soren: Are you able to replicate this issue on QEMU?
> If yes, it should be the best if you can provide Qemu, kernel .config/
> rootfs and simple manual to Daniel how to reach that fault.

I tried to download qemu for zynq but it fails:

git clone git://git.xilinx.com/qemu-xarm.git
Cloning into 'qemu-xarm'...

I am also looking for the option specified for the kernel:

"The kernel needs to be built with this feature turned on (in
menuconfig, System Type->Xilinx Specific Features -> Device Tree At
Fixed Address)."

... but I was not able to find it.

any ideas ?

Thanks
  -- Daniel

ps : apart that, well documented website !

--
 <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |