Date:	Tue, 06 Aug 2013 23:55:05 +0200
From:	Anders Larsen <al@...rsen.net>
To:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Cc:	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
	Shuah Khan <shuahkhan@...il.com>,
	postmaster@...r.kernel.org

On 2013-08-06 23:23, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 02:11 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> >>
> >> The above link is also a good example of subtleness: + in a URL
> means a
> >> space character, it has to be escaped as %2B.  Particularly a
> problem in
> >> gmail message-ids.

the link in question works just fine without escaping the +; the + only
has to be escaped in then query component of a URL, not in the path
component where it is just another valid character - and the link in
question did not contain any query component.

(see RFC 3986 sections 3.3 and 3.4)

> A quoted Message-ID might be weird as heck, but one rarely if ever see
> them, I don't know if they are even legal.

I don't think they are even possible, as the percent-sign is just
another
valid character in a Message-ID - but so is the '+' sign, so it seems
you're trying to solve a non-existent problem...

(see RFC 5322 section 3.2.3)

Cheers
Anders