Date:	Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:51:36 +0100
From:	Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>
To:	Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:	Rob Herring <rob.herring@...xeda.com>,
	Pawel Moll <pawel.moll@....com>,
	Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>,
	Stephen Warren <swarren@...dotorg.org>,
	Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@...rix.com>,
	Felipe Balbi <balbi@...com>,
	Grant Likely <grant.likely@...aro.org>, devicetree@...nel.org,
	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Non-enumerable devices on USB and other enumerable buses

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 09:53:01PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013, Mark Brown wrote:

> > One example that's bugging me right now is that on the Insignal Arndale
> > platform there's a USB hub connected to one of the USB ports on the SoC
> > (not as a PHY, it seems we also need the internal PHY running to talk to
> > the device).  The hub needs to be "plugged" into the SoC after the SoC
> > USB controller has started with some GPIOs so we need to tell the system
> > that the hub exists and needs to be synchronised with the USB controller.

> On the surface, this seems like a particularly simple case.  Why wait
> until the SoC's USB controller has started?  Why not "plug in" the hub
> via the GPIOs right from the beginning?

I tried that, it doesn't seem to work - for some reason it seems that
the hub is only successfully enumerated if it starts after its parent is
running.  I don't know enough about USB to speculate on why that might
be, the GPIOs are brining the device out of reset not applying power or
anything.

> > Another case that's going to be problematic once it's in mainline is
> > Slimbus - this is a bus used in some embedded audio subsystems which is
> > enumerable in a similar manner to USB but where the devices on the bus
> > are normally powered up only on demand (causing them to hotplug when
> > used and unplug when idle) and have at least interrupt lines wired to
> > the SoC using a normal interrupt outside the enumerable bus.

> That is indeed more difficult, because it requires geniune cooperation
> between the bus and platform subsystems.

Yeah.  You might want to do the same with for example a USB network
controller when you're in flight only mode, that seems to be one of the
more common reasons for doing this sort of thing with USB.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)