Date:	Thu, 12 Sep 2013 22:46:18 +0200
From:	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>
To:	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...stprotocols.net>
Cc:	David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] perf fixes

* Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...stprotocols.net> wrote:

> Em Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 10:18:55PM +0200, Ingo Molnar escreveu:
> > * David Ahern <dsahern@...il.com> wrote:

> > > Jiri and I have both taken stabs at a config-based build rather than
> > > probing. Just need to finish it.
> >
> > Mind outlining the approach you are thinking about?
> >
> > Firstly, please don't even think about autotools. (Just forget it exists.)
>
> hehe, no, that wasn't considered.

/phew! :-)

> > Secondly, the way perf tries to build by auto-detecting the build
> > environment and auto-disabling bits it cannot build just yet is pretty
> > powerful. The core bits will build on just about any system, and our
> > fallbacks are really good.
>
> That would remain as:
>
> make -C tools/perf autoconfig
>
> > The result is that perf will build on just about any random system,
> > without the user having to install any dependency. It would be really
> > sad to lose that aspect.
>
> we will not

But it would be nice to keep building as simple as 'make'.

So I don't think splitting out the feature tests into a separate pass, to
be done manually by the user, is a step forward.

Speeding them up by caching their results, while cleaning up the
presentation of the testcases, on the other hand, would be a (big!) step
forward.

Thanks,

	Ingo