Date:	Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:15:54 -0300
From:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>
To:	Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>
Cc:	Jacob Shin <jacob.shin@....com>,
	Andreas Herrmann <herrmann.der.user@...glemail.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Issues with AMD microcode updates

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:58:34AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > I take care of the amd64 microcode update support for Debian, and I'm
> > receiving user reports of lockup issues with the AMD microcode driver in
> > several kernels.  This is about the runtime update interface,
> > /sys/devices/system/cpu/*/microcode/reload and
> > /sys/devices/system/cpu/microcode/reload.
> >
> > Basically, the issue is that the process that tries to write "1" to the
> > reload node gets stuck in "D" state on several kernel versions.
> >
> > I started by blacklisting several older kernels (e.g. I got a report of
> > 2.6.38 locking up), but recently I got a report of a lockup with kernel
> > 3.5.1.  Blacklisting everything before 3.10 is not exactly kosher, not when

The kernels reproted to be broken are 2.6.38 and 3.5.2, I got the last one
wrong.

> > I would have to blindly trust 3.0, 3.2 and 3.4 to not have whatever issue is
> > causing the lockups.

> > Debian bug reports:
>
> Well, both Andreas and Jacob don't work for AMD anymore. I could try to
> help with this but it'll be slow as I'm pretty busy with other stuff.

Well, if someone can give me suitable ssh and full root access to a small
AMD box anywhere in the world [with a suitably outdated BIOS/EFI that
doesn't have the latest microcode for the processor] so that I can bissect
this, I'm game.  Preferably, a box with a throw-away install of the latest
Debian stable, which might help track down the issue faster since it is what
I am most confortable with.

> Anyway, I'd suggest we look only on the long term kernels since they're
> the only ones which can get updates/fixes anyway.

If I could get a confirmation that "it's good on latest 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.10
and mainline", I'd at least be able to blacklist everything else.  But I'd
need at least a control test of 3.5.2 (which should fail) to make sure it is
easy to reproduce the bug on the test box...

I'm almost sure that the latest 3.2 and 3.10+ work just fine, otherwise I'd
have noticed it really fast...

> Now, how do I reproduce this? Writing 1 to .../reload on latest kernel
> works here. So I'd need a reproducer. Alternatively, I'd need a sysrq-l
> and sysrq-w from those systems with hung processes.

I can request help on debian-user or debian-devel to get someone with an AMD
box to help with bissection, but it is usually best if we don't ask general
users to bissect kernels (due to non-zero risk of data corruption if the
bissect hit one of the problem spots that often show up during the
development window).

  Henrique Holschuh