Date:	Fri, 27 Sep 2013 18:01:25 +0200
From:	Veaceslav Falico <vfalico@...hat.com>
To:	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>
Cc:	Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@...hat.com>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, linux.nics@...el.com,
	"e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net"
	<e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	"linux-pci@...r.kernel.org" <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: kobject_add_internal failed for msi_irqs with -EEXIST

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 09:58:28AM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
>[+cc Veaceslav, linux-pci]
>
>On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM, Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@...hat.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> With recent build of 3.12-rc2 I'm getting this warning report from kernel:
>> (hw Lenovo T61, C2D, 4GB Ram)
>> (repost since linux-kernel@ rejected my gmail email....)
>
>This looks related to the MSI/kobject issues Veaceslav is working on.
>See http://lkml.kernel.org/r/1379382464-7920-2-git-send-email-vfalico@redhat.com
>and related messages.
>
>We don't have a resolution yet.  If you have
>CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT_RELEASE=y, you could try turning that off.  I
>don't know if it would help, and it would only be a temporary
>workaround anyway.

I've looked at the original post -
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org/msg510798.html
hope that's it - and it seems that it's disabling DEBUG_KOBJECT_RELEASE
won't help - the warning is about the re-registering, not about freeing it.

As a workaround I'd suggest adding some kind of delay between removing and
adding the msi - as in - rmmod e1000e; sleep 1; modprobe e1000e; - or
something like that, so that there is enough time for the /msqi_irqs/ to go
away.