Date:	Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:44:19 -0700
From:	ebiederm@...ssion.com (Eric W. Biederman)
To:	Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org>
Cc:	Richard Weinberger <richard@....at>,
	Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@...il.com>,
	Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@...hat.com>,
	Daniel Kiper <daniel.kiper@...cle.com>, hbabu@...ibm.com,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...ux.intel.com>,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>, kexec@...ts.infradead.org,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, david.vrabel@...rix.com,
	jbeulich@...e.com, keir@....org, xen-devel@...ts.xen.org
Subject: Re: kexec: Clearing registers just before jumping into purgatory

Matthew Garrett <mjg59@...f.ucam.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 06:59:41PM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:

>> > I just read /proc/kallsyms. I'm really not doing anything complicated.

>> > Isn't that ksplice?
>>
>> So, you have a variant of ksplice which is able to kexec?
>
> No, I manually look up some addresses from /proc/kallsyms and then
> modify them in the second kernel.

An interesting approach I think most of the rest of us would have just
built a module, or rebuilt our kernels.

Now if this is a backwards argument to remove that silly code path it
totally fails because now we know the code has not bit-rotted and
that there are active users.

If you are still pushing the signed-boot agenda I eagerly await your
patches to make all of this work in a sensible way with signed binaries.

Eric