Date:	Mon, 14 Oct 2013 08:15:23 -0700
From:	Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
To:	Chris Eastwood <chris2027@...il.com>
CC:	Christoph Anton Mitterer <calestyo@...entia.net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, gregkh@...uxfoundation.org
Subject: Re: support for Intel Atom based QNAP LEDs/buttons/buzzer in Linux?

On 10/14/2013 12:29 AM, Chris Eastwood wrote:

> Hi all, nice to meet you and thank you for replying Guenter,
>
> The code you are talking about wasn't actually written by me, and I have been unable to get hold of the author; I have just been recompiling it to see what I can do with it.
>
> I have found that the GPIO driver is able to control the following LEDs:
>
> Power LED (green)
> Status LED (green, red)
> USB LED (blue)
> 8 HDD LEDs (*red only)
> /(and the USB copy button)/
>
> It does not appear to be able to control the *green *HDD LEDs though
>
> I found that the *green* HDD LEDs can be enabled through */drivers/ata/libata-scsi.c* by including a new function, here is what I took from qnap's source:
>
> #define SGPIO_RETRY_MAX 15
> static void ata_port_led(struct ata_port *ap,u8 on)
> {
> int rc = 0;
> int retry=0;
> if (ap->ops->em_store && (ap->flags & ATA_FLAG_EM)){
> for(retry = 0 ; retry < SGPIO_RETRY_MAX ; retry++){
>        rc = ap->ops->em_store(ap, on ? "0x80000" : "0x0", 4);
>        if (rc == -EBUSY)
>          udelay(100);
>        else
>          break;
>      }
>    }
>    if(retry == SGPIO_RETRY_MAX)
>      printk("%s:SGPIO always busy\n",__func__);
> }
>

> Which is then called from the following two locations:
>

> *void ata_scsi_scan_host(struct ata_port *ap, int sync)*
> *{*
> *  ...*
> *if (!IS_ERR(sdev)) {*
> ata_port_led(ap,1);
> *    ...*
> *  }*
> *  ...*
> *}*
>

> *static void ata_scsi_remove_dev(struct ata_device *dev)*
> *{*
> *  ...*
> *  if (sdev) {*
> ata_port_led(ap,0);
> *    ...*
> *  }*
> *}*
> *
> *
> Once booting the newly compiled kernel the green HDD LEDs are working and blinking correctly.
>
> What are your thoughts on the green HDD LEDs ?

It appears the LED is supposed to be controlled from userspace, possibly
with a udev rule or script.

There is a sysfs attribute which should be used for this purpose.
Search for "em_message" on /sys. Writing '0x80000' (as text) should turn
the LED on, writing '0x0' should turn it off. The attribute supports other
values as well. Search for "Enclosure Management LED Message Type" in the
kernel source.

Thanks,
Guenter