Date:	Sun, 20 Oct 2013 15:26:34 +0200
From:	Levente Kurusa <levex@...ux.com>
To:	jiaweiwei <jiaweiwei.xiyou@...il.com>
CC:	Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>,
	Vyacheslav Dubeyko <slava@...eyko.com>,
	Harry Wei <harryxiyou@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Rollback FS

> On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Levente Kurusa <levex@...ux.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> A good catch. Following ideas would be suitable.
>>>
>>> 1, Keep the blocks or inodes by a parameter we give.
>>> 2, Keep the blocks or inodes for several seconds.
>> Keep them where? On the HDD? We just deleted/moved that.
>
> Delete/move a file with a parameter, which would keep the blocks or inodes
> in-place. Or we would keep the blocks or inodes for several seconds.

The problem with keeping the inodes/blocks for several seconds is
that you would need to find a magic number that is not small enough,
because if it is, then what if the user doesn't notice the problem
during a long operation? If the magic number is big, then we waste a
lot of space.

The problem with the parameter thing is that again, all the different
filesystems need to support that feature. We can't just tell Ext3 or JFFS2 on the VFS level,
that 'Hey, keep those inodes in place incase someone just made himself some headache.'

--
Regards,
Levente Kurusa