Date:	Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:23:08 +1100
From:	Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>
To:	Jens Axboe <axboe@...nel.dk>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Regression x2, 3.13-git] virtio block mq hang, iostat busted on
 virtio devices

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 03:51:27PM -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 11/19/2013 03:42 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:

> >> No, the nr_requests isn't actually relevant in the blk-mq context, the
> >> driver sets its own depth. For the above, it's 64 normal commands, and 2
> >> reserved. The reserved would be for a flush, for instance. If someone
> >> attempts to queue more than the allocated number of requests, it'll stop
> >> the blk-mq queue and kick things into gear on the virtio side. Then when
> >> requests complete, we start the queue again.
> >>
> >> If you look at virtio_queue_rq(), that handles a single request. This
> >> request is already tagged at this point. If we can't add it to the ring,
> >> we simply stop the queue and kick off whatever pending we might have. We
> >> return BLK_MQ_RQ_QUEUE_BUSY to blk-mq, which tells that to back off on
> >> sending us more. When we get the virtblk_done() callback from virtio, we
> >> end the requests on the blk-mq side and restart the queue.
> >
> > I added some debug code to see if we had anything pending on the blk-mq
> > side, and it's all empty. It really just looks like we are missing
> > completions on the virtio side. Very odd.
>
> Patching in the old rq path works however, so...

... we've found a race condition ;)

FWIW, the thing that comes immediately to mind for me is that all
the wakeups and queue kicking is done outside of any locks, using
status gained from inside the lock context. Hence the mq stop/start
and virt queue kicking can all race - perhaps that's resulting in a
missed wakeup, restart or queue kick?

Cheers,

Dave.
--