Date:	Mon, 2 Dec 2013 23:34:28 +0000
From:	"Fujinaka, Todd" <todd.fujinaka@...el.com>
To:	Nick Pegg <nick@...kpegg.com>,
	"e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net"
	<e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>
Subject: RE: [E1000-devel] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (e1000e): transmit queue 0
	timed out

I'm having difficulty following this issue, most likely because of our email system. Can you file a new bug on sourceforge?

Thanks.

Todd Fujinaka
Software Application Engineer
Networking Division (ND)
Intel Corporation
todd.fujinaka@...el.com
(503) 712-4565

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Pegg [mailto:nick@...kpegg.com]
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2013 2:57 PM
To: linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org; e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [E1000-devel] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (e1000e): transmit queue 0 timed out

> Intel maintains newer drivers out-of-tree at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/, and it's possible this is some
> bug that has already been fixed.  The current version there looks like
> e1000e-2.5.4, released 2013-09-05.
>
> Possible similar report: http://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/bugs/367/ (no
> real data there).

I've looked through the existing bug reports and version changelogs and didn't see anything that seemed very relevant.

I was able to debug the e1000e object file and get the specific code that's bugging out after the interface is unexpectedly reset:
--------
(gdb) l *e1000_clean_rx_irq+0x101
0x19d81 is in e1000_clean_rx_irq
(drivers/net/ethernet/intel/e1000e/netdev.c:933).
928                     rmb();  /* read descriptor and rx_buffer_info
after status DD */
929
930                     skb = buffer_info->skb;
931                     buffer_info->skb = NULL;
932
933                     prefetch(skb->data - NET_IP_ALIGN);
934
935                     i++;
936                     if (i == rx_ring->count)
937                             i = 0;
--------

The above code is from kernel version 3.9.2 and e1000e driver version 2.2.14-k. Should there be a check here to see if skb is NULL? I checked the latest e1000e release (2.5.4) and there is no check there either (near netdev.c:994).

Rapidly troubleshoot problems before they affect your business. Most IT organizations don't have a clear picture of how application performance affects their revenue. With AppDynamics, you get 100% visibility into your Java,.NET, & PHP application. Start your 15-day FREE TRIAL of AppDynamics Pro!