Date:	Tue, 3 Dec 2013 15:40:13 -0800 (PST)
From:	David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>
To:	Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
cc:	Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.cz>,
	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, linux-mm@...ck.org,
	cgroups@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch] mm: memcg: do not declare OOM from __GFP_NOFAIL
 allocations

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013, Johannes Weiner wrote:

> > > Spin on which level? The whole point of this change was to not spin for
> > > ever because the caller might sit on top of other locks which might
> > > prevent somebody else to die although it has been killed.
> >
> > See my question about the non-memcg page allocator behavior below.
>
> No, please answer the question.

The question would be answered below, by having consistency in allocation
and charging paths between both the page allocator and memcg.

> > I'm not quite sure how significant of a point this is, though, because it
> > depends on the caller doing the __GFP_NOFAIL allocations that allow the
> > bypass.  If you're doing
> >
> > 	for (i = 0; i < 1 << 20; i++)
> > 		page[i] = alloc_page(GFP_NOFS | __GFP_NOFAIL);
>
> Hyperbole serves no one.

Since this bypasses all charges to the root memcg in oom conditions as a
result of your patch, how do you ensure the "leakage" is contained to a
small amount of memory?  Are we currently just trusting the users of
__GFP_NOFAIL that they aren't allocating a large amount of memory?

> > I'm referring to the generic non-memcg page allocator behavior.  Forget
> > memcg for a moment.  What is the behavior in the _page_allocator_ for
> > GFP_NOFS | __GFP_NOFAIL?  Do we spin forever if reclaim fails or do we
> > bypas the per-zone min watermarks to allow it to allocate because "it
> > needs to succeed, it may be holding filesystem locks"?
> >
> > It's already been acknowledged in this thread that no bypassing is done
> > in the page allocator and it just spins.  There's some handwaving saying
> > that since the entire system is oom that there is a greater chance that
> > memory will be freed by something else, but that's just handwaving and is
> > certainly no guaranteed.
>
> Do you have another explanation of why this deadlock is not triggering
> in the global case?  It's pretty obvious that there is a deadlock that
> can not be resolved unless some unrelated task intervenes, just read
> __alloc_pages_slowpath().
>
> But we had a concrete bug report for memcg where there was no other
> task to intervene.  One was stuck in the OOM killer waiting for the
> victim to exit, the victim was stuck on locks that the killer held.

I believe the page allocator would be susceptible to the same deadlock if
nothing else on the system can reclaim memory and that belief comes from
code inspection that shows __GFP_NOFAIL is not guaranteed to ever succeed
in the page allocator as their charges now are (with your patch) in memcg.
I do not have an example of such an incident.

> > So, my question again: why not bypass the per-zone min watermarks in the
> > page allocator?
>
> I don't even know what your argument is supposed to be.  The fact that
> we don't do it in the page allocator means that there can't be a bug
> in memcg?

I'm asking if we should allow GFP_NOFS | __GFP_NOFAIL allocations in the
page allocator to bypass per-zone min watermarks after reclaim has failed
since the oom killer cannot be called in such a context so that the page
allocator is not susceptible to the same deadlock without a complete
depletion of memory reserves?

It's not an argument, it's a question.  Relax.