Date:	Wed, 04 Dec 2013 13:23:50 -0500
From:	Vlad Yasevich <vyasevich@...il.com>
To:	Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@...chi.franken.de>
CC:	David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM>,
	Sun Paul <paulrbk@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-sctp@...r.kernel.org, Karl Heiss <kheiss@...il.com>,
	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Supporting 4 way connections in LKSCTP

On 12/04/2013 11:25 AM, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2013, at 5:12 PM, Vlad Yasevich <vyasevich@...il.com> wrote:

>>> The point is that address scoping should be used. When sending an
>>> INIT from 10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.4 you should not list 192.168.1.1,
>>> since you are transmitting an address to a node which might or might
>>> not "be in the same scope". We had IDs for that in the past, but
>>> they never made it to RFC state, because they were not progressed enough
>>> by the authors. Maybe we should push them again...
>>
>> But these 2 are technically in the same scope.  They are both private
>> address types.  Also, this will not solve the problem either since
> That is correct. But I think you should not transfer a private address
> to another private address belonging to a different network.
> I don't think this was specified in the older IDs...
>> the configured addresses could be:
>> System A) 10.0.0.1 on Lan X, 10.10.0.1 on Lan Y
>> System B) 10.0.0.2 on Lan X, 10.10.0.2 on Lan Y
>> System C) 10.0.0.3 on Lan X, 10.10.0.2 on Lan Z
>>
>> Same problem will occur.
> Depending on the subnet masks, it might work not not. Are you
> configuring them with /8?

No, /16 :).  With that, Sys A talking to Sys C will get an abort
from Sys B when trying to talk to 10.10.0.2.  With /8, it'll be
even worse since SysB and SysC will have duplicate addresses
within the subnet. :)

The point is that you don't always know that the same private subnet
is in reality 2 different subnets with duplicate addresses.

I've had to debug an actual production issue similar to this where
customer had a very similar configuration to above, and their
associations kept getting aborted.  When I tried accessing the
system that kept sending aborts, I found it was some windows
server and not a Diameter station they were expecting.

>> Btw, were there any IDs other then draft-stewart-tsvwg-sctp-ipv4?
> Yes, one for IPv6.
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stewart-tsvwg-sctpipv6-01
> They need to be integrated and improved...

Ok.  I'll take a look.

Thanks
-vlad