Date:	Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:51:13 +0530 (IST)
From:	P J P <ppandit@...hat.com>
To:	Simon Guinot <simon.guinot@...uanux.org>
cc:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Patch] Read CONFIG_RD_ variables for initramfs compression

  Hello Simon, Andrew

+-- On Wed, 11 Dec 2013, Simon Guinot wrote --+
| IIUC this patch, the INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_* options are now
| ignored/useless. Don't you think we should remove them from the
| usr/Kconfig file ?

  -> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/11/25/21

I'v pushed a patch from Mr Hristo to the same effect. I guess it's still in
the queue. I haven't received any review for it yet. (...Andrew?)

| Actually, I think this patch makes the initramfs compression
| configuration quite confusing. Consider the following configuration
| for a 3.13-rc3 kernel:
|
| CONFIG_RD_GZIP=y
| CONFIG_RD_LZMA=y
| CONFIG_INITRAMFS_COMPRESSION_LZMA=y
|
| This now produces a gzipped initramfs_data.cpio against a lzma one
| previously.

  That is because, when multiple options are set, CONFIG_RD_GZIP is checked
last in the usr/Makefile.
  # Gzip
  suffix_$(CONFIG_RD_GZIP)   = .gz

Hope it helps.
--
Prasad J Pandit / Red Hat Security Response Team