Date:	Wed, 18 Dec 2013 10:25:31 +0100
From:	Sander Eikelenboom <linux@...elenboom.it>
To:	Arend van Spriel <arend@...adcom.com>
CC:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Ben Hutchings <ben@...adent.org.uk>,
	Julian Calaby <julian.calaby@...il.com>,
	"Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@...not-panic.com>,
	"Berg, Johannes" <johannes.berg@...el.com>,
	"Grumbach, Emmanuel" <emmanuel.grumbach@...el.com>,
	"ilw@...ux.intel.com" <ilw@...ux.intel.com>,
	"linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org" <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>,
	"John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>,
	Avinash Patil <avinashapatil@...il.com>
Subject: Re: [cfg80211 / iwlwifi] setting wireless regulatory domain doesn't work.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 10:16:38 AM, you wrote:

> On 12/17/2013 11:06 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> We have literally had this *exact* same issue with firmware loading.
>> Network drivers shouldn't try to load firmware at module load time.
>> Same deal.

> It is kind of a chicken and egg problem for (wireless) networking
> drivers. To get IFF_UP from the network layer you have to register a
> netdevice. For wireless drivers this means you have to register a wiphy
> device with cfg80211 which flags capabilities and optionally are custom
> regulatory domain. That information depends on the device and firmware
> used. And there we have a full circle.

Very well, but:

If it can't access the CRDA and it is setting the world domain, why on earth is it blocking any
subsequent requests to setting the regulatory domain from userspace when the CRDA *is* accessible ?

I mean, i could see the need to do something *temporary* at boot when accessing the CRDA fails and to take the most
safe default for the time being ..

The BUG is that it is NOT temporary, but blocking until next reboot because the first request wasn't completely processed.
My hostapd will try to set the domain when it starts and at that point the CRDA is accessible, so it would set it from the temporary
domain to the one specified, as long as it isn't blocking.