Date:	Sun, 22 Dec 2013 23:42:01 -0600
From:	Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To:	David Cohen <david.a.cohen@...ux.intel.com>
CC:	"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@...e.fr>,
	linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org,
	mmarek@...e.cz, rostedt@...dmis.org
Subject: Re: make oldnoconfig fix?

On 12/05/13 18:10, David Cohen wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 06:58 PM, Rob Landley wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Yann,

>>> Maybe I assumed it was more 'known' then it actually is :)

>>> The bug with 'oldnoconfig' is: 'make oldnoconfig' is just an alias to
>>> 'olddefconfig'. Any non-existent config is defined with its default
>>> value instead of 'N'.
>>>
>>> I work with embedded platforms. I need to maintain a set of defconfigs
>>> for different products (customers some times want tailored configs, so
>>> creating a generic one isn't an option always).
>>
>> make allnoconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=oldconfigfile
>
> I'll give it a try. Thanks!
>

>> I use this trick in http://landley.net/aboriginal/FAQ.html#dev_miniconfig
>>
>> And yes, I submitted it upstream a couple times last decade, with
>> documentation and everything:
>
> You could send it again.

I linked you to three times I sent it:

 >>    https://lwn.net/Articles/160497/
 >>    https://lwn.net/Articles/161086/
 >>    http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0607.0/1805.html

Plus I made sure it worked in busybox and uClibc:

http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2007-March/038469.html

Other people picked up on it:

http://www.brain-dump.org/blog/show-entry.php?id=109
http://techoverflow.net/blog/2013/07/09/user-mode-linux-for-beginners-part-1-setup-and-first-vm/

Somebody even added it to the Documentation directory a few years back
(while I wasn't looking):

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/kbuild/kconfig.txt

The problem was the kbuild maintainer at the time categorically rejected
the idea in a very long thread. (The replies to that "take 2" lasted two
weeks.) He was the maintainer, his no was final, so I went off and did
other things.

> But maybe oldnoconfig would be a better name WRT current standard.
>
> Br, David

As you can see from the rapid response time, I'm a touch overwhelmed of
late.

I've been offering miniconfig stuff to people for years, but the
upstream guys had zero interest when I pinged 'em and still don't, last
I checked. When Linus yanked the giant forest of arm defconfigs he
decided to have kconfig snippets generate different defconfigs instead
of miniconfig (which turns out not to be particularly maintainable, but
oh well).

If somebody else wanted to take the basic concept and push it upstream,
I'd happily review and ack, but I haven't got it in me to replicate the
7 years the initramfs guy spent convincing upstream to Do It My Way. I
scratch my own itch, offer it to other people, they say no, and after
about the third attempt I go do other things. My todo list runneth over,
no shortage of other things...

Rob