Date:	Tue, 7 Jan 2014 12:45:42 -0500
From:	Santosh Shilimkar <santosh.shilimkar@...com>
To:	Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@....linux.org.uk>
CC:	Krzysztof Hałasa <khalasa@...p.pl>,
	lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org"
	<linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>
Subject: Re: Regression (ARM) arch/arm/mm/init.c doesn't build without CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT.

On Monday 06 January 2014 08:11 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2014 at 06:42:13PM -0500, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:

> /--------------------------------------------------------------

> \--------------------------------------------------------------
>
>> May be I missed your point but I ended up creating the patch because
>> the CMA reservation was failing on Keystone since the arm_dma_limit
>> wasn't right since it wasn't considering the actual __pv_phys_offset.
>>
>> Isn't that an issue ?
>
> See the above.  Your patch has _no_ effect what so ever when
> CONFIG_ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT=y - which you have on the Keystone, right?
>
> If you don't believe me, ask make to produce arch/arm/mm/init.i, which
> is the output from the preprocessor, comparing the resulting generated
> file both with and without your patch applied.

Looks like you are right. I did two fixes to have right arm_dma_limit in
below order.

1. 787b0d5 {ARM: 7908/1: mm: Fix the arm_dma_limit calculation}
2. 7c92732 {ARM: 7909/1: mm: Call setup_dma_zone() post early_paging_init()}

But with 2 alone the issue gets fixed since with ARM_PATCH_PHYS_VIRT and
below pre-processor, the PHYS_OFFSET also gets an updated value. I never
realised that 1 becomes redundant after second patch while creating them.

#define PHYS_OFFSET __pv_phys_offset

So indeed, 787b0d5{ARM: 7908/1: mm: Fix the arm_dma_limit calculation}
won't be needed anymore and can be reverted. Sorry it took some time
for me to reach to your conclusion.

Regards,
Santosh