Date:	Sat, 11 Jan 2014 00:20:14 +0800
From:	Chen Gang <gang.chen.5i5j@...il.com>
To:	James Hogan <james.hogan@...tec.com>
CC:	linux-metag@...r.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: [Suggest] arch: metag: compiler: Are they compiler's issues?

On 01/11/2014 12:02 AM, James Hogan wrote:
> On 10/01/14 15:57, Chen Gang wrote:

>>> In my memory, when packed(2), it breaks the C standard (although I am
>>> not quit sure).
>>>
>>> And I guess, all C programmers will assume it will be 6 when within
>>> pack(2) or pack(1).

>>> Unfortunately too, most using cases are related with API (the related
>>> structure definition must be the same in binary data).
>>>
>>> I am sure there are still another ways to bypass this issue, but that
>>> will make the code looks very strange (especially they are API).
>>>
>>> :-(
>>>

>> I guess most C programmers will use this way to describe protocol/data
>> format, and keep compatible for it (since it is API).
>>
>> So even if it really does not break C standard, I still recommend our
>> compiler to improve itself to support this features.
>
> The compiler cannot change this without breaking the ABI.
>
> If the structure describes a set-in-stone data layout (which it sounds
> like it does since it asserts the size of it) then the correct fix is to
> pack the structures in such a way as to guarantee the correct offsets
> and sizes on all compliant compilers. Otherwise if it's just an internal
> programming API it shouldn't be using compile time asserts to enforce
> things that vary between ABIs.

OK, thanks, I guess your meaning is:

	struct s {
		short x;
		struct {
			short x[3];
		} y __attribute__ ((packed));
		short z;
	} __attribute__ ((packed));

That will satisfy all of compilers (include metag), is it correct?

Thanks.
--
Chen Gang

Open, share and attitude like air, water and life which God blessed