Date:	Mon, 20 Jan 2014 15:12:12 -0800
From:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...stprotocols.net>,
	Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@...llo.nl>
Cc:	Cong Ding <dinggnu@...il.com>,
	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...ux.intel.com>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>, Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
	Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>,
	Mathias Krause <minipli@...glemail.com>,
	Michael Davidson <md@...gle.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Wei Yongjun <yongjun_wei@...ndmicro.com.cn>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] x86/kaslr for v3.14

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:
> So I pulled this, but one question:

.. oh, and since I decided to test it, and was looking for problems:
enabling kaslr breaks "perf". The *profile* looks fine, but the
disassembly doesn't work.

I'm not entirely surprised. I decided I wanted to test it for a
reason, after all. So it's not unexpected, but perhaps people hadn't
thought about it, and clearly hadn't tested it.

Kernel modules disassemble fine, so clearly perf knows about code that
moves around, but apparently it gets surprised when the core vmlinux
file disassembly doesn't match addresses.

             Linus